Table Of Contents
Many Mac users have recently reported that they are getting a message on the screen saying “PDE.plugin will damage your computer“. It is also reported that their Hewlett Packard (HP) devices are also not working properly, and they’re receiving an alert when they’re trying to print or scan something through their HP printer.
The screen saying, “PDE.plugin will damage your computer. This file was downloaded on an unknown date”. And it also says, Report malware to Apple to protect other users.
Methods To Fix ‘PDE.plugin Will Damage Your Computer’ Error
This plugin is basically a part of the HP software which is used to manage the HP devices. The primary reason behind this error is that your Mac needs to be updated. Also, make sure this plugin file is not malicious at all.
The possible solutions to fix this problem are listed below.
Method 1: Update your Mac
You can try updating your device. HP printer update might be available through macOS software update.
To update your device, select System Preferences from the Apple menu on your Mac. Then click Software Update to check if any update is available.
Method 2: Delete and Re-add
If the above method didn’t work, try removing and re-adding some software and hardware in this step.
Remove your printer
First, try to remove your printer which might help you to fix the problem. To do this, choose Apple Menu > System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
Now, select the Printer, click on the Remove button and delete the printer.
Install the latest HP software
After removing the printer, download and install the latest HP printing software from this link.
Re-add the printer
Now, re-add the printer by simply going to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
Method 3: Re-Install HP Software
If you’re still facing the problem, you may try the following steps.
- Go to Finder > Go > Applications and look for the HP or Hewlett Packard folder.
- Now, go for HP uninstaller and follow the instructions given on-screen.
- If you don’t find the HP uninstaller, select the HP folder and drag it to the Trash.
- Now, go to Finder > Go > Go to Folder, enter ‘Library/Printers‘ in the box, and hit Enter.
- It will open the Printer folder. Find the HP folder and drag it to the Trash.
- After that, empty the Trash (Right-click > Empty Trash).
- Now, get back to your Mac and go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Remove the printer.
- At last, restart your Mac (Apple Menu > Restart).
Having trouble with uninstalling the software?
If you’re having trouble while uninstalling the software; you might use the HP uninstaller tool to do the task.
After downloading the HP uninstaller tool, removed the HP software. Then, re-download and install the software. To do so, follow the steps.
- Go to the website of HP.
- Enter your printer model and find the product you’re looking for.
- Now, download the Driver file and open it by Double-clicking on the DMG file. You’ll get on-screen instructions to install it.
- After you install it, go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and add your printer.
- Now, try to print or scan something to check if the error has got fixed or not.
We hope the error of ‘PDE.plugin will damage your computer’ should have been solved by now. If you have any queries regarding this topic, let us know in the comment section below.
PDE plugin is a part of HP software that is used to manage HP devices.
No, HP is an American company.
The full form of HP is Hewlett-Packard.