You might need to reset SMC on MacBook if you’re having some issues with your MacBook. Whether the device isn’t working properly or getting slowed down or maybe it’s lagging; resetting SMC is the only option to fix any problem.
Boost Your Brain in just 20 Seconds 💥
What does SMC Do?
The SMC or System Management Controller usually manages the device’s low-level settings, which includes thermal and battery management.
Benefits of Resetting SMC
Resetting SMC is one of the best options if you’re facing any issues with the MacBook. You can also reset SMC if your Mac says Wifi not configured.
You must be wondering what exactly the SMC does. Well, here’s an example. If you plug in the charger on your MacBook; the lights on the charger will turn on even if the device is completely shut down. This is what SMC does.
The other services SMC provides us are,
- Respond while the power button is pressed.
- Respond to the opening and closing of the Display Lid on the device.
- Thermal and battery management.
- Ambient light sensing.
- Backlights of keyboards.
- Battery status indicator, etc.
Usually, it doesn’t occur that often but if something’s wrong with the SMC; the device will not work properly even when the usage is low. It can even harm the CPU.
Methods To Reset SMC On MacBook
The methods to do this operation depend on the version of your Mac. Like, in earlier days Mac had a removable battery. But the models launched in 2009 and onwards don’t come with a removable battery. So, it’s quite easy to guess that the method to reset the SMC in both these types of Mac will not be the same.
First, confirm, Is Your Battery Removable?
First, you confirm what type of battery does your Mac has. If it has a removable battery, there should be a metal slider on the back of the device. And if there is no slider, your Mac doesn’t have a removable battery.
More lucidly, check if there’s any crack outlining a rectangular section. If you find it, there might be a removable battery in your Mac. And the rectangular slide is covering it.
Resetting SMC on a Mac, If the battery is removable
If you have an older version of the Mac or one of the pre-2009 models, the device might have a removable battery. These are the steps you need to follow if you want to reset SMC on MacBook.
- First, shut down the device and remove the battery of your Mac.
- Now, press and hold the Power button for 5 seconds.
- After that; reconnect the battery and the power cable.
- At last, turn on the Mac.
By now the SMC has been reset.
Resetting SMC on a Mac, If the battery is non-removable
If you own a newer version of Mac that comes with an Apple T2 security chip which is a new addition to the MacBooks after 2018, you’ll need to follow a slightly different process. There’s a specific keyboard shortcut that you need to know to reset the SMC on your device.
- First, you need to unplug the power cable and shut down the device.
- Press and hold Left Shift + Ctrl + Option keys together; then press and hold the power button. Keep holding all the four buttons for around 10 seconds and release.
- At last, reconnect the power cable and turn on your Mac.
The SMC on your device has been reset.
Resetting SMC on a Mac Desktop
If you own an iMac, a Mac mini, or a Mac Pro, resetting SMC is easy.
- First, shut down the device.
- After that, unplug the power cable and wait for 15 seconds.
- At last, reconnect the power cable and then turn the device on.
The SMC is done resetting.
So, all the points you need to know about SMC have been noted down here. Also, the methods to reset SMC on MacBook have been described herein in a very lucid way. Hope this helps you if you need it.
No, resetting SMC is not bad. Users use it as a last resort.
Press and hold Left Shift + Ctrl + Option keys together and then press and hold the power button. Keep holding all four buttons for 10 seconds will reset the SMC on Mac.
The full form of SMC is System Management Controller.