Signal Messenger is an end-to-end encrypted messaging platform founded by Signal Foundation and Messenger. With the help of the internet, one can send group messages, which include files, voice notes, images, and videos. It also allows voice and video calls. Sometimes users have issues with Signal’s calling feature. If you facing the same, here’s how to fix the issue of Signal app calls not working.
Your call screen on Signal, typically shows the following:
- Calling or Connecting – This appears when we are waiting for the call to connect.
- Ringing – This appears once the contact is online and their phone rings.
- Timer – This appears once your contact receives your call.
Signal App Calls Not Working (Methods to Fix)
Here are some methods that will help you to fix the Signal app call not working issue.
Signal Call Screen Only Shows Calling/Connecting
It may happen when your contact is disconnected at that time you placed the call or they have blocked you. Both your contact and you have to be online for your call to start ringing. The following things can be done to fix this.
- Confirm the messages you are sending gets delivered to your contact.
- Confirm that you are receiving messages from your contact.
It might also happen if the date and time settings of your device are incorrect.
Signal Call Screen Shows No Answer Or Hangs Up
This happens when your device is not connected to the internet. Check your mobile data connection or WiFi. It might also happen when your firewall or a 3rd party application is limiting or interfering with Signal’s access to the internet.
Unable To Hear My Contact
There are a few things to try:
- Confirm your device has the updated version of Signal.
- Enable the Microphone permissions for the signal app on your device.
- Check if a third-party application is interfering with Signal’s access to the internet.
- Raise the volume level of your device.
If You Are Only Receiving Missed Calls
- Your device might have been offline when you received the call.
- Turn off the ‘Do Not Disturb‘ mode.
- On iOS, switch off Low Power Mode.
- Confirm if both you and your contact are using the updated version of the Signal application.
- Confirm whether the date and time settings for your device are correct.
- As mentioned before, check whether any third-party application is interfering with Signal’s access to the web.
- On Android, modify Signal settings. Go to Signal App > Tap on Profile photo > SMS and MMS > WiFi Calling compatibility mode and check again.
- For iOS, go to Settings > Signal > Notifications. Select ‘Lock Screen’ from alerts. This will display lock screen notifications.
To See A Contact’s Video
You get control of who can see you. Your contact has the same choice.
- Press the Video icon to enable video from your side. You have to make sure the list of permissions is enabled for your device.
- They also need to tap on the Video icon and enable the permissions for their device.
Modify the Desktop Permissions For Calling
- Configure in-app permissions: Go to Signal Desktop site. Tap on your Profile. Go to Preferences and grant access to the camera and microphone.
- Grant OS permissions: Select the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Camera > Select the Checkbox next to Signal. Signal will have to restart for this new setting to be applied.
These were the methods to fix the issue of Signal app calls not working.
Yes, Signal uses end-to-end encryption to keep your messages private.
Yes, right now Signal is the most secure application.
To use the calling feature on the Signal application, open the Signal application, then tap on the Pencil icon on the top right corner of the screen, select the Contact to whom you want to make a call, after that tap on the Call option from the top right corner of the screen.