Looking for an action camera, and everyone you ask proposes you GoPro? Undoubtedly GoPro is the go-to action camera for all the adventure-seeking, outdoorsy people as it is portable, compact, rugged, and a fabulous choice for its size and price but it has its downsides also. So don’t come to any conclusion till you browse through all the Best GoPro Action Camera Alternatives.
Before we proceed with the list of best GoPro action camera alternatives, let’s look at some pros and cons of GoPro action cameras so that you discover whether GoPro is a perfect choice or not and if not then which one is it?
GoPro Action Camera Upsides
- They’re portable – fits even in your pocket so no need to worry about making room in your handbags or suitcases.
- Rugged Exterior – GoPros are suitable for all kinds of the environment, near the shore, mountain tops, or sandy journeys.
- Night Mode – GoPro enables you to point and shoot in low light conditions or even when it is dark.
- Ultrawide angle – This feature is best for action shots.
GoPro Action Camera Downsides
Sick Battery Life – You can run out of battery very frequently and that can be bothering when on road.
No Zoom – GoPro has a fixed lens so no zoom.
Unstable Colour Balance – The image quality of GoPro is considerable but the color balance is not good for all the backgrounds.
Soft responsiveness – GoPros offers some control over things but accessing those options is suffering as they are not as responsive as they could be.
List of Best GoPro Action Camera Alternatives
Now let’s look at the list of the best GoPro action camera alternatives you should buy. All the cameras listed below are logged based on their efficiency as an action camera, their price, features, and all the elements that make them worthy of being on the list of best GoPro action camera alternatives. You can prefer whichever camera from the list according to your specifications and budget range, let’s begin!
1. Garmin VIRB Ultra 30
- It directly competes with the GoPro when it comes to photo and video quality with 4k recording possible at 30 fps, recording options, like 1080p at 120fps, 720p at 240fps, rich colors, and excellent sharpness even sharper than the most recent GoPro models.
- Easier to use due to the touchscreen feature that can be controlled with mobile applications. The voice command control is an added advantage.
- The Garmin VIRB comes with a maximum water depth of 131 feet is amazing.
- WiFi connectivity is included and can be used to sync up with your phone and even stream live videos on Youtube.
- The Garmin VIRB Ultra has built-in image stabilization which is commendable.
2. Yi 4k+
- The Yi 4k + comes at almost half the price, it is one of the best GoPro action camera alternatives when it comes to budget.
- Has an inbuilt stellar 4k recording which is possible at up to 30 fps and 240 fps is possible at 720p.
- A rugged touchscreen, long battery life, and videos are crisp and, quality-wise helps it stand out.
- Images taken from Yi 4k + are still commendable and are devoid of vignetting, chromatic aberrations, and other distortions.
3. Olympus TG Tracker
- The Olympus Tough TG-Tracker, a bullet-shaped action camera is one of the best action cameras available in the market all because of its robust design and myriad features.
- The TG-Tracker is very light and weighs only 180 grams and can easily fit in your pocket and is fully waterproof by itself.
- The Olympus Tough TG-Tracker is very straightforward and easy to use. The LCD screen flips out and a small LED light is also present for low light shooting.
- Video quality is excellent with 4k, 240fps at 720p, and image stabilization.
- The FOV of the Olympus Tough TG-Tracker is a whopping 204 degrees, which is even wider than the GoPro making it a better alternative.
4. Sony FDR X1000V
- The Sony FDR X3000R has stunning built-in image stabilization which makes videos even more crisp and smooth, top-of-the-line video quality, and a useful Live View Remote.
- Its stellar performance makes us believe that the Sony FDR X3000R is one of the best GoPro action camera alternatives available in the market.
- The Sony FDR X3000R shoots high-quality in 4k.
- Uniquely, the Sony FDR X3000R comes with a separate Live View Remote accessory, which enables you to shoot live video without actually stopping the recording.
5. Drift Ghost 4K
- This camera will soon take over the GoPro market and become one of the best action cameras to stand as an alternative to GoPro.
- According to the makers, Drift Ghost 4K is designed with advanced features including drift innovation techniques.
- Amazingly, you can also customize most of its interactive features with a few additional accessories.
- It can record with extended battery life and with its 4G connectivity allows you to easily enjoy remote operations.
- The optional LCD viewfinder is going to be an asset for its users and will be a knockout to GoPros.
6. AKASO V50 PRO
- If you’re looking for an action camera that is both credible and cheap, then Akaso V50 should be on your mind.
- The Akaso V50 performs admirably at such a price. For that price, you get 4k recording, a remote control, and a couple of extra batteries.
- Its 4k recording capabilities are commendable, being able to record up to 30 fps at this resolution. It has higher frame rates which provide resolutions at – 120 fps at 720p is the cap.
- A built-in electronic image stabilizer helps to eradicate shake and create smooth videos.
- Construction-wise, the Akaso V50 comes with an effective touchscreen.
7. SJCAM SJ7 Star
- The SJCAM SJ7 Star is a budget-friendly camera and with a 4k recording possible which caps out at 30 fps and 240fps videos are possible at 720p, effective touchscreen, it becomes a solid opponent in the race of being the best GoPro action camera alternative.
- The quality of the video is perfectly fair and the built-in electronic (Gyro) image stabilization and it performs ok and causes no complaints whatsoever.
- The SJCAM SJ7 Star has an exterior of aluminum which makes it very durable.
8. Yi Action Camera
- The Yi 4k can alone knock out the entire army of GoPros and for almost half the price. Has a remarkable 4k recording, a rugged touchscreen, and long battery life.
- If you are scouring for 4K resolution at a 60fps frame rate then the Yi 4K action camera is all you need.
- Yi very closely plays against the GoPro technology and they are soon going to set a new benchmark with this latest launch.
- Yi design is what you need if you are looking for high-speed cameras for action recording. You can also avail of a slow-motion video creation feature with an added image stabilization benefit at 4K level..
9. DJI OSMO Action Camera
- DJI has gone one step further and comes with shake-free footage no matter how heavy your action gets.
- It enhances the dynamic range of your footage, the capturing involves rich details that are often lost in environments with complex lighting.
- DJI OSMO arrives with 4K/60fps at 100Mbps ensuring that your footage always matches the actual intensity giving it a real feel.
- DJI offers flexible operation and recoding, making it your go-to when it comes to finding alternatives to GoPro.
10. TomTom Bandit
- TomTom has a robust design, great usability, and undoubtedly TomTom Bandit is one of the best GoPro action camera alternatives.
- Bandit has a sturdy and strong exterior and it is fully waterproof up to 131 feet.
- The TomTom outstands because of its controls and connectivity it has an affiliated mobile app that is impressive.
- 4k video recording is possible but only at 15 fps. Most users are better off shooting in 1080p or, if you’re looking for maximum fps, 720p at 120fps.
11. Polaroid Cube Act II
- Polaroid Cube Act II is one of the Best GoPro action camera alternatives out there in the market.
- It offers attractive features at such a low rate.
- The wide-angle of Cube+ can capture videos up to 124 degrees and stills can be captured at 8MP.
- This camera is waterproof up to 30 feet enabling you to shoot underwater.
- With its 1440p recording ability, it allows you to make settings for slow as well as fast motion.
12. Sony DSC-RX0
- If you want an action camera with a slightly different shooting experience then you must rely on the Sony DSC-RX0.
- The Sony DSC-RX0 feels more like an action cam as it offers a more reasonable FOV, superlative optics, and is very compact.
- It’s a distinct camera and one of the best GoPro action camera alternatives available to you in the market.
- Images shot are crisp and clear, its greatest weapon is its 24mm f/4.0 Zeiss lens, which offers stunning optical quality and a larger image sensor does a good job with controlling noise.
13. ISAW Edge
- By looking at the price, understandably, the ISAW Edge is a budget-friendly alternative to the GoPro.
- Like other action cameras on this list of best GoPro action camera alternatives, the ISAW Edge is a solid player that comes at a lower price.
- Both videos and still images are sharp and look very good. The ISAW Edge can shoot 4k with maximum fps of 120 at 720p.
- It comes in the same size as the rival the GoPro but is better when it comes to ruggedness and portability.
- The ISAW Edge has both in and out waterproofing and is very easy to use. The battery is replaceable and can be charged even in your car making it a promising action camera to travel with.
14. Campark ACT74
- The Campark is a reasonable basic action camera with, 4K recording proficiency and an assortment of included accessories gives a hard blow to all the GoPros out there.
- The GoPro has a light sensor directly under the lens, to help the camera get the best auto-exposure as well as an LED light that can be turned on in the menu for night shooting.
- Campark ACT74 is too easy to use, with buttons arranged very intuitively.
- Footage seized with the Campark is at par with other acclaimed action cameras out there. The Campark gives a decent frame rate than many other cameras accessible in the market.