In this article, the best screenwriting software for Windows are mentioned for you to pick the most suitable one for yourself. If you want to become a great writer, you must use the best screenwriting software. The screenwriting software can help you achieve your objectives by providing a distraction-free environment and allowing you to easily outline scenes and characters. All you need these days is a computer, screenwriting software, a literary agency, and a creative flair (and a lot of luck). You’ll need the greatest screenwriting tools to move your script from paper to screen.
What Is Screenwriting Software?
While writing is a vast topic with numerous freelance writing jobs accessible, we’re focusing on those that do it professionally today. Screenwriting software enables you to compose, edit, format, and print scripts for films, television shows, and video games.
It assists scriptwriters in adhering to industry-specific formatting rules, correcting language and grammar, and maintaining document backups. This software eliminates the requirement for manual formatting to bring your script up to code. Action, conversation, sluglines, scene headings, transitions, parentheticals, character names, and more can all be added with ease.
List Of Best Screenwriting Software For Windows
The best screenwriting software for Windows are mentioned below.
Celtx comes in the first position on our list of best screenwriting software for Windows. It is a cloud-based, cross-platform screenwriting and media pre-production tool. It is one of the top screenwriting apps in the market, with over 6 million users worldwide.
This software gives you tools to help you generate better content faster, from script to shot. As it is cloud-based software, you can access your accounts from anywhere. Furthermore, Celtx’s strong reports can help you acquire actionable production information.
- It has a user interface that is basic, easy to understand, and intuitive.
- Mobile apps for iPhone, iPad and Android allow you to work online or offline.
- There is only one master file (for better organization, you can work off a single master file).
- For book writing, a rich text editor module is used.
- It can help you in making production calendars and stripboards.
- Allows directors and writers to assign tags to certain components in each screenplay.
- Real-time collaboration design
- The production workflow is team tailored.
Celtx has three pricing options. The scriptwriting plan is $15 per month; the video production plan is $27 per month and the game production package costs $27 per month.
2. Final Draft
Final Draft is our second best screenwriting software for Windows. It is an award-winning screenwriting program that was first released in 1990. Netflix, NBCUniversal, Paramount, ABC, Pixar, and others have all used it since it won a Primetime Emmy Engineering Award in 2013.
Final Draft 11 is best suited for individuals wishing to use the same industry-standard screenplay software that big television shows and motion pictures use; thanks to its extensive feature set.
- Advanced brainstorming and visualization tools to work with a variety of writing partners during the writing process.
- Automatically format and paginates scripts to industry standards.
- It lets you arrange and personalize “beats,” such as character arcs, plot milestones, location ideas, research, and more.
- Revision mode keeps track of all changes made to a screenplay as it progresses through production.
- Its fonts are available in 97 different languages.
- Support for text-to-speech.
- There are over 100 templates to pick from.
- Windows, OSX, and iOS are all supported and compatible.
It is now available as a digital download for $184.99, with two activations per purchase. They also provide a free 30-day trial to try it out. Overall, it’s an excellent value for learning the most fundamental piece of screenwriting software.
3. Arc Studio Pro
The third screenwriting software on our list is Arc Studio Pro. It is the best-designed screenwriting software in the market, and it’s quickly becoming the industry standard. Arc Studio Pro is used by pros, such as the Arcane (Netflix) writers’ room; but it is also incredibly beginner-friendly thanks to its intuitive design. The best aspect is that it offers a free plan; which is ideal for those who are just getting started.
- Provide a distraction-free, sleek, and compact design.
- To develop the greatest script possible, collaborate in real-time with your writing partners.
- Use Google Doc-like software to work in the cloud with real-time features.
- An advanced plot board to arrange the script’s framework and keep notes linked to the script.
- Perfect script standards are possible thanks to industry-standard formatting.
- A distraction-free writing mode that allows you to concentrate entirely on the words.
- While you’re writing, take a quick peek at your plot plan to make sure it’s correct.
Arc Studio has three different pricing options:
- Free: $0
- Essentials: $69/year
- Pro: $99 for a year
4. KIT Scenarist
Next on our list is the KIT Scenarist. It is widely regarded as one of the best screenplay software programs currently available. It provides one of the most unique full scriptwriting experiences available.
The best aspect is that it is free and open-source software with a lot of customization options. Furthermore, it is used by over 3000 authors worldwide and provides practically monthly updates to keep up with the latest technologies (more than 70 updates till date).
KIT Scenarist is best for feature films and television series scriptwriting at the highest level. It’s also beneficial to authors and novelists, and it’s ideal for writers who need to write in several languages and conduct statistical analyses.
- Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android are all supported.
- Has a comprehensive research module (collect necessary information, manage a list of characters, and store a variety of materials).
- Has a built-in card module (which helps you build story development, providing you visualizations to work with).
- It has a built-in powerful formatting tool with a script editor, so you can focus solely on writing.
- Provides services in a variety of languages.
- Scripts can be exported in many formats (PDF, FDX, Fountain, and Docx).
- Multiple theme options are available (dark or light).
- Has built-in statistics tools.
- Built-in character and set management are fully integrated.
KIT Scenarist is a free software program that may be downloaded from the internet. However, if you wish to access cloud services, you must first subscribe to a paid plan after 30 days of the free trial.
Scrivener is one of the best screenwriting software for Windows for authors and novelists. It was first introduced in 2007 and is one of the greatest screenwriting programs in the market right now; with features like note organization, drag-and-drop functionality, and batch editing of several pages.
It runs on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Linux. The finest feature is that it can also be used for project management. Scrivener can also imitate a typewriter and a ring binder along with a scrapbook.
- You can go from altering a piece of your manuscript to editing the complete document in a matter of seconds.
- It has an easy-to-use and intuitive UI.
- Text editing is something you’re probably used to (allows you to use bolds, italics, and other formatting options).
- You can import files from a variety of Word processors and extensions, including Microsoft Word documents, text files, PDFs, and other formats.
- There’s a built-in ‘Corkboard’ that lets you reorganize files with a simple drag-and-drop method.
- All features are gathered on a single platform for simple reference.
- Compilation of materials into a single chapter is simple, and there is a 30-day free trial period.
- You have the option of selecting your own font.
- There are video tutorials accessible for simple comprehension.
The cost varies based on whatever platform you’ll be using it on. The Mac and Windows versions of the software will set you back $49.
The sixth place on our list goes to WriterDuet. It is a screenwriting program that allows you to write and edit scripts and other forms of media. Writerduet meets a wide range of needs and, in addition to screenwriting; it can also be used for video editing and gaming. The software’s unique selling point is that it allows writers to collaborate in real-time from different locations and on multiple devices.
It is not free screenwriting software, but it does offer three free scripts when you sign up. This goes above and beyond what other screenwriting software currently provides. Screenwriters and professional writers that demand real-time cooperation to put down their thoughts should use WriterDuet. It can also be used to create educational tutorials.
- Allows you to install a wide variety of plugins for better customization.
- Allows backup copies to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, and your system.
- Offers seamless services both online and offline.
- Allows you to track all your edits.
- Intuitive and basic software programs
- Supports different mobile and browsers.
- Supports a broad range of screenplay formats.
- Fully built-in with SSL certification.
You get three free scripts when you sign up with WriterDuet. You’ll need to upgrade to a premium plan after that. The first option is Plus, which costs $5.99 per month and is paid annually. Then there’s Pro, which costs $7.99 per month, and Premium, which costs $9.99 a month.
7. Movie Magic Screenwriter
Seventh on our list of best screenwriting software for Windows is Movie Magic Screenwriter. It is a multi-award-winning program. It can be used to write screenplays, novels, comics, stage plays, musicals, and much more.
Movie Magic Screenwriter provides free online videos to help customers learn how to use the software and also allows them to download a free demo version to check it out. It has appeared in numerous Hollywood films, including the popular Pirates of the Caribbean series.
- Very user-friendly and adaptable.
- Formats scripts according to industry standards automatically (real-time, intelligent formatting).
- When exporting to a scheduling program, you can tag characters and places.
- Has built-in collaborative tools.
- Features are color-coded for easy reference and organization.
- Exceptionally adaptable (changes the layout and modify interface).
- A custom ‘NaviDock’ interface is included (this can contrast your script based on a variety of factors).
- Professionally created templates are available.
- The ability to collaborate in real-time with many stakeholders from different locations (iPartner feature).
- Feature for converting text to speech.
- Has a notes commander that lets you organize, access, view, and script your thoughts rapidly.
Movie Magic Screenwriter includes several pricing options. $169 for Movie Magic 6. The upgrade costs $89.95 for both Windows and Mac and $69.95 for the 6.5 upgrades (only for Mac). Each purchase comes with three activation options. The ‘academic’ edition costs $99.95 and comes with two activation options.
Trelby, formerly known as ‘Blyte,’ is a free and open-source screenwriting program. It is presently accessible on Github and works on both Windows and Linux platforms. It certainly is one of the best screenwriting software for Windows.
Trelby is a GPL-licensed platform that invites developers and screenwriters to cooperate and improve it. It also has an integrated, highly programmable PDF generator. The user interface is quite welcoming and intuitive (infinitely configurable).
- It has a built-in screenplay editor (enforces correct script format, pagination, and spell checking).
- Multiple platforms are supported.
- There are many different perspectives to pick from.
- Options for reporting (scene/location/character/dialogue).
- The ability to compare scripts is built-in (to identify changes, if any).
- While importing, you can choose from a variety of options (Screenplay formatted text, Final Draft XML (.fdx), Celtx (.celtx), Fountain) etc.
- The ability to create PDFs with custom watermarks.
- Has a large, fully integrated database of character names.
- The software’s system requirements are minimal, making it simple to run even on older systems.
It is open-source software that is completely free to use. The source code is accessible on Github.
9. Fade In
Fade In is also one of the best screenwriting software for Windows. It was created in 2011 and is popular in the film business. Fade In works on a variety of platforms, including Mac, Windows, Android, Linux, and iOS. It’s one of the most cost-effective software in the market, with a lot of useful features.
It is quickly gaining traction as the next industry standard, thanks to features like as multilingual support, an action-to-dialogue calculator, and comprehensive rewrite and revision functionality. It has been compared to the Final Draft software.
- It has a built-in autocomplete typing tool (suggest words as you type).
- Real-time cooperation is available (you can work on projects with multiple collaborators from remote locations.)
- Automatic script formatting.
- Complete image support is available (allows you to insert images directly into the document).
- Full-screen mode with no distractions is available.
- Multiple file formats are supported (text, HTML, and more).
- Provides cloud storage options (easy access from any location).
- Free software updates
For a limited time, you can use ‘Fade In’ for free. After that, you must pay a one-time fee of $79.95, which is currently one of the most affordable prices in the market. One significant benefit is that future software updates will be free.
Last on our list is StudioBinder. It is currently one of the most popular screenwriting programs available, it has a simple interface and is known for its sleek appearance. StudioBinder offers fully customized solutions for photo and video production companies to better organize their work by bringing everything together. Thousands of companies throughout the world rely on it, including leaders like Spotify.
- You can customize call times and send attachments.
- Script analysis (import scripts and tag elements).
- Robust shot lists and storyboard creators
- Built-in drag-and-drop interface
StudioBinder provides an indefinitely usable instrumental-free version. Individuals and businesses can also purchase paid subscriptions. Individual plans range in price from $29 to $99 per month, payable monthly. You can save up to 15% if you pay every year. The price for businesses begins at $249 per month and rises to $1499 per month, payable monthly. Again, if paid annually, you can save up to 15%.
Final Draft 10 is the best program to write a screenplay.
Screenplay writers use Arc Studio Pro.
Yes, you can write a screenplay in Microsoft Word.